I am not a video gamer. Haven’t been since my original Nintendo (the original) was broken by my sister’s friend back in 1992 (and yes, I am still bitter). However, I have found myself swept up in the search for a Nintendo Wii. I’ve also found it to be quite a trek, and rather revealing, both of people, and of the power of a market.
For those of you who aren’t aware, the Wii is Nintendo’s new gaming system. Rather than compete with the PlayStation3 and the Xbox360, Nintendo intelligently opted to focus not on raw graphics and power, but rather appeal to the rest of the world—the non gamers, if you will—those who can’t and don’t want to sit in front of a monitor all night playing against some 12 year old in Poland. Nintendo just may revolutionize gaming with its motion sensor remote controller, which allows players, for example, to play tennis by swinging the remote. You can imagine the myriad other applications, as well.
This one is a win for Nintendo over Sony on a lot of levels—a win no one expected. On the marketing side, expectations were so high of Sony that they could not possibly deliver, especially for the $500-$700 price. Yes, it has a BluRay player, but, really, who can take advantage of that today. Yes, the PS3 is more powerful, but who the graphical capability won’t be realized by developers for another year or more—when they cost much less. Long story short, I can find a PS3 anywhere right now (and that was not expected).
But I cannot find a Wii, and it’s not for lack of trying. Nintendo has masterfully shipped small quantities, keeping everyone’s interest and also maintaining scarcity (and therefore desirability to some degree). It’s also an interesting view into the market. People with too much time or no jobs are hoarding Wiis, creating a cartel effect and driving up prices (it’s not uncommon to see someone on CraigsList or eBay who has sold 6-8 at $150 profit each). As Christmas passed, prices on eBay dropped from $500 to $400, and then to $330 this weekend.
But my quest continues. I could make a living reporting on the shipping and logisitics of big box stores now. It’s an interesting little world here in Wii-land. There are online support groups; a cottage industry has popped up with automated inventory notifications (by SMS and email); and of course, there’s eBay and Craigslist. It just proves that while markets, as a whole, are rational, people aren’t. And for the first time in my life, I’m in the camp with the people, not the market; yet I refuse to pay the $50 premium on eBay—which makes me wonder: am I in it for the Wii at this point, or just for the kill?
No comments:
Post a Comment