For those of you pondering a trip to see the tourist attractions of Detroit: may I advise you to pass? What an abominable place. It looks like nuclear winter, and we didn't even go downtown. Sure, like any large city, the place has a few 'nice' suburbs, but as a whole, it's a dreadful place. And walking the halls of a major motor company, the place was more dead--indeed the people looked lobotomized--than any office I have ever seen.
On the list of things to do and not to do in MoTown:
Avoid:
- The airport. Wow. While U understand Northwest Airlines has a nice terminal, it's like no place I've seen for the other airlines. I don't even know what to compare it to. Think 1950s jail hallway.
- Benihana. Our search for a light dinner in Detroit took us looking for sushi. And Benihana was supposed to be the best of the lot. It was so-so, and while chatting after dinner, we found out why: the sushi was thawed from it's flash-freeze saran-wrapped containers, and they were making rolls for the next day... Not a good sign. I'd avoid at all costs.
- Downtown. There are volumes already written about this, so I won't reinvent the wheel.
- This is a short list... Tim Horton's. A northern Jewel for coffee and breakfast
- The Four Points by Sheraton at the airport is nice for what it is.
No comments:
Post a Comment